Saturday, December 4, 2010

Never Letting Your Present Circumstance Define You . . .Ever!

We are often times disillusioned by our present challenges and circumstances and constantly fail woefully at turning the tidal waves that occur in our lives around. I cringe at the thought of the havoc the residual effects of these toxic emotions create in our lives. Without question, it can be devastating on our health, self esteem and overall well being. We must not let these temporary challenges define us or dictate the future course of our lives.

Back in October,  I read this amazing book;  It the sequel to the book, "The Law of Attraction", which I highly recommend. It is one of my all time favorite book ever! It is written by the same author, Rhonda, Byrne and is entitled "The Secret, The Power. I  came across this quote that had  a profound implication to this topic of discussion and I immediately felt compelled to share it because it struck quite a chord in my brain!  Exactly what Oprah will call an "AHA" moment. It reads as follows:

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learnt from
experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our
circumstance"

- - Martha Washington (1723-1802) First Lady, George Washington, First President of the United States.

We are so often disappointed and disillusioned by our present circumstances that we fail to realize that those negative emotions never beget positive results or outcomes. Simply put, negative feelings/emotions like hate, envy, jealousy, anger, resentment,  guilt, etc. equally attract further negative outcomes for our lives and  present circumstances; whereas positive emotions like love, joy, enthusiasm, contentment, attract equally positive outcomes. 

I look around and try to analyze people that I have encountered in my personal life and the coincidence is startling! I have seen people with overall pleasant dispositions succeed more than the doomy and gloomy people of this world. I encountered a really frustrating circumstance lately and by consequence of the natural human reaction, I not only lashed out in anger, but also felt really sad and deflated. Then I remembered this quote as I was driving back from work. The energy with which the kids greeted me at the door was the exact opposite of the emotion that I was feeling.  I decided that I have to take my kids out to Friendly's even though as a general rule, I would never do that on a week day. I tapped into their joyful energy  and enthusiasm and boy,  I had sooooo much fun with them at the restaurant that I totally forgot that the frustrating events of the day happened. 

This pleasant disposition carried over to my sleep that night and into my morning. Listen to this, I get into my office and my phone was ringing as I was coming in. Guess who the caller was? Yep!  It was the the catalyst that triggered the nasty events of the  day before, clothed in a totally different voice,  promising to give me what I was fighting so hard for without even getting into the reasons for the sudden change of attitude. I never bothered to ask him why he had a 360 degree change. I said in my loveliest voice, "Thank you Sir, Do have a wonderful day".  I gave myself a big hug for applying that quote so succinctly to my life!.

Just like a miracle, it worked . . . ; It worked!!! It worked because I was able to turn the tide around in my favor and not wallow in the anger and disappointment of that day!

No comments:

Post a Comment